Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Day 5 - Bridge Run


I think the best way to see a city is on foot. You see a lot more that way, plus you get a feel for the city... the sounds, the smells, the conversations.

When I travel, I try to scout as much of the city as I can. The first run in a new city is always full of potential. Everything is new. You have no idea what's in store.

Today, I find myself in Sarasota Florida. I don't know anything about Sarasota, except that you really can't be in a hurry here. There are retired people everywhere and there are going to be some in front of you, so just relax.

Even tough it is pretty darn cold and there's a steady stiff breeze, I'm not going to complain about the weather. Back home, it's 10. So, no whining from me.

For my first excursion in Sarasota, I took on the John Ringling Causeway bridge which is just down the street from my hotel. In just 2.5 miles I was up and over the bridge on some island and back.

Bridge runs always seem like a great idea. They look fantastic. You're going over water. But in reality, they're almost always a let down. The view is never as good as you expect because the walls and rails, which look so frail from the bottom, are up to your shoulders. So mostly what you see is a sidewalk with walls, like the groove in a slot-car track.

Once you get to the other side, well, there you are on the other side. And you get to go back up and over in the long slot. And when you're done you look back and pretend that you enjoyed it.

There's got to be somewhere more interesting to run around here.

The numbers: 2.5 miles at 8:33 pace

4 comments:

  1. Hey quit complaining - you are running in Florida! Even if it is on a Hot Wheels track that beats on a gerbil wheel indoors any day.
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey man, I wasn't complaining about the weather. And I haven't hit the "wheel" yet. Get your butt outside!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ran 3 at 5:30am today in San-Diego, 50 degrees, nice rolling hills. Not a gerbil wheel in sight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! Preparing for a snowy run back at home. Thinking I may have to wear conventional shoes.

    ReplyDelete