Thursday, January 14, 2010

Day 14 - Work group run


The last few runs have been a bit... what's the word... monotonous? Yes, that will work. Three straight days of running on my own, from the same place, on virtually the same roads. I really needed to shake things up a bit.

Lucky for me, there was a group run already planned. Even better, the dreaded impromptu11:30-12:00 meeting, the one that's ruined 2 planned runs already this week, couldn't take me down today. The group was heading out at noon. Take that stupid meeting!


Mike, Mark, and Bill.

Finally, someone to talk to, or listen to. Didn't matter to me. I was just glad to have the company. But this wasn't just any company. I work with these guys every day. Three of us have offices next to each other.

With most of the people we work with, there's an unspoken boundary within which conversations stay. We all have our roles. Everyone stays inbounds. Nobody gets offended. All's well.

The group run changes that mentality. On the run, the unspoken agreement is that anything goes, but it stays on the road. And the more that group runs together, more and more of that stuff needs to stay on that road.

Sooner or later, running buddies will speak their mind. Freely. (I think it has something to do with oxygen deprivation.) But that's part of the deal. And that's how you get to really know somebody.

And the more you run with someone, the more blurred the line between co-worker and running buddy gets. And let me tell ya, it's great to work with running buddies.

Good running,
Doug

Numbers: 2.8 at 8:03 pace - recovery day as the legs are feeling a bit knackered.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on completing the first two weeks of your 365. I started a running streak on Jan 1, 2009. I look forward to reading about your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Chris. I'll be watching your progress toward 1000 days as well.

    ReplyDelete