Monday, January 4, 2010

Day 4 - Back to Reality

Ran 4.4 at lunch today with my buddy Mike, 8:24 pace. 12 degrees, overcast, and windy... getting to be routine.

What isn't routine, at least not yet, is fitting this daily run into my real life. It was easy when I was on holiday break. I had all the time in the world, and all of my gear in my house, where I was.

I thought I'd planned everything out and packed everything in. Until I started to dress. No gloves and no hat. Did I mention that it was 12 degrees, overcast, and windy?

In 2009, that would have meant no run. Easy excuse to blow if off.

Not this year, baby. I was not going to let a little thing like, well frostbite is actually a pretty big thing... screw it, I wasn't going to miss this run!

After the run, I felt great. And no tissue damage.*

Making running a priority means being flexible, adaptable, and generally unwilling to make excuses.

Get out. Get the run in. Then enjoy your awesomeness.

Good running,
Doug

*Pulling your sleeves over your hands is an excellent substitute for gloves, and if your hands warm up, you can just pop them out. Much easier than pulling off and carrying gloves.

No comments:

Post a Comment