Saturday, July 24, 2010

Day 205 - Hot Stuff

I've probably run on hotter days, but I don't remember a day that felt hotter than today.

The heat wrapped around you like a giant squid. A really hot and humid giant squid.

Luckily, I have loads of experience running on the surface of the sun... and central Indiana in summer... 6/half-dozen...

Here, culled from this vast experience, are a few tips for hot weather running:

  1. hydrate up - drink before you run. Drink water. Lots of water.
  2. stay cool - run in the morning or evening to avoid the hottest part of the day.
  3. seek shade - running in the shade is way easier on your circulatory system, relieving it from some of the responsibility of cooling.
  4. leave your dog at home - they can't cool as efficiently as we can.
  5. take it easy - it's harder to run when it's hot. Don't ask too much from your body.

By the way, I personally violated 1-4 today.

Run as I say, not as I do.

Good running,
Doug

Numbers: 1.4 miles in a sauna.

No comments:

Post a Comment