Monday, July 5, 2010

Day 186 - July 5th?

For some reason, Carmel chose to celebrate July 4th, on July 5th.

Parade, festival, fireworks. All today.

Why? No clue.

I'm sure it has something to do with not wanting to disrupt the church-going folk on a Sunday. Because lots of people go to church at 9:45p. On the 4th of July.

Anyway, I didn't partake. Not for lack of community spirit. Just that I'd shot my Independence Day wad. Yesterday. On the 4th of July.

Instead, I ran with my new running bud Marino, who, in a tiny bit of irony, is British.

Turns out they don't celebrate the 4th of July in England. Or the 5th of July.

But Marino, married to American, who also happens to be the GF's sister, played along. Yesterday.

Today, we ran. We ran on the trails and streets and multi-purpose trail of Carmel, IN, USA.

It was a great run, despite the french fry warmer heat and sauna humidity.

Me and Marino, post run.

We discussed fell running, which is a cross between cross country and mountain climbing and sounds awesome, and training for ultras, GPS watches, the benefits of barefoot running, international travel with a 1-yr old, and the benefits of an Ivy League education (he met his wife at Cornell).

Two dudes, unknown, fell running.


Maybe next time we'll run on his home course, in the 'burbs of London.

But right now, I need to calm my dog down. She freaks out during the July 5th fireworks.

Good Running,
Doug

Numbers: 5.0 miles.

2 comments:

  1. Good run Doug - I really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Marino - It was a good run, wasn't it. Next time we'll get you into a fountain. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete