Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Day 188 - The Promise

After my run this afternoon as I was making my way to the shower, a co-worker looked at me, dripping with sweat, legs painted with trail dirt, and asked "You still run, in this heat?"

Clearly, she and I, we're not close.

Heat. Cold. Snow. Rain. Wind. Whatever. It's all a part of the run.

I was talking with Marino about the "Why" of running. We've both trained for marathons, done the drill, held to our training program, chugged the miles.

In that mode, a run is a task.

  • Take out the trash.
  • Drive to work.
  • Put a coversheet on your TPS report.
  • Run 5 miles at 7:45 pace.
  • Pick up milk and eggs.

I've got enough tasks in my day already.

No, for me, running isn't a task.

Running is a series of adventures. Every run is an experience, a mystery, and an opportunity.

And every run has a promise.

A promise that when you finish, you will be ever so slightly different, better, than you were when you started.

I'm certainly not going to let a little heat keep me from that.

Good running,
Doug

Numbers: 4.3 miles on trails.

No comments:

Post a Comment