Sunday, July 18, 2010

Day 199 - Clouds


Summer in Indiana includes the occasional unexpected "pop-up shower" which is often a mean-ass thunderstorm.

The pop-up nature adds a bonus feature in that the clouds seem to come from nowhere. POOF!

I was looking at some of these entrancing, and in this case exotic puffs of water vapor. One in particular that towered high into the sky, was bathed in bathed in bright sunset light, looking like a pile of pillow stuffing, and it got me to wondering...

So what keeps clouds together? Gravity? Static cling? Common interests?

I know they're made of water vapor, but when steam comes out of a tea kettle, and I'm sure we all use tea kettles, it doesn't hang in the middle of the kitchen in the shape of a duck, or a dolphin, or WC Fields.

Shouldn't  osmosis, or some law of gas being evenly distributed in a large volume, cause these things to dissolve?

Nature is perplexing. She's definitely a woman.

Good running,
Doug

Numbers: 3 miles on the streets

2 comments:

  1. http://van.physics.illinois.edu/qa/listing.php?id=2197

    Oh, that was rhetorical? Never mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks 'possum! I feel safer knowing they probably won't fall out of the sky and crush me. Or you. Mostly me, though.

    ReplyDelete