Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Day 96 - Windy





In case you can't quite make that out, the steady wind this evening is 19mph. Gusts are around 120mph, I'm pretty sure. Days like this remind me why I prefer running to cycling.

Due to scheduling beyond my control, the last couple days I've had my runs pushed into the evening.

The evening is my least favorite time to run. Evenings are for replenishing my vitamin B stores, or relaxing on the deck, or relaxing on the deck replenishing my vitamin B stores.

It's also the worst time to run with the dog. After a full day in the crate, she is psycho-hyper for a good half hour. If the run intersects with that half hour, then the run becomes less soul cleansing and heart maintenance and more remedial dog obedience, but with more sweating. And cursing.

Doesn't help that my dog has a goose fetish. What? No! Of course not. A goose fetish, not a goose fetish.

My short grass and trail loop at home takes us by a mating pair of Canadian Geese. What? No, they are not actually mating when we pass by. That term just means that they are a couple.

Let's try to focus, ok?

In the evening, the day has taken it's toll. Legs are tired. Feet are tired. You've got a couple meals working their way south. The body just isn't at it's running best.

An evening run will buoy me up a bit, turn the wick up a little for the rest of the night, but it's not as uplifting as a lunch run, or a morning run.

Or, the middle of the afternoon when everyone else is working run. These runs are sometimes an option, say when you have to work through lunch.

Scooting out around 2:15. The traffic's usually died down. And you won't have to wait in line for the shower.

But sneaking out for a mid-afternoon run, during "core hours", feels, I don't know... wrong. Naughty. A little... dirty.

Like a nooner.

But that's part of the fun, isn't it.

Good running,
Doug

Numbers: 1.5 miles, slow, on grass and trail. Achilles is improving, but not fast enough. Had to officially bail on one of my favorite races, the River to River Relay in Southern Illinois. Thankfully they were able to find a replacement runner. Good luck Iron Mules.

2 comments:

  1. Replacement runner, but you're a permanent Mule, Doug! Get healthy, we've got at least 2 more years...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Joe. Looking forward to hearing some stories from the race. Hope you get a good leg.

    ReplyDelete