Friday, April 16, 2010

Day 106 - Friday Spit-balling

I'm really hurting for time today, folks.

Fridays seem to be when people empty their heads, pouring out all of the things that have been building up all week.

For me, that means lots of "Hey, have we ever considered..." and "What would happen if we..." emails.

Their wonderings mutate into tasks for me. It gets worse if they've parked themselves in wondering mode and feel like debating my answers or tweaking their "idea".

To them, it's "spit-balling" or "brainstorming." But for me it's a lot of unplanned work.

These interactions are great, when I have the time for them. When I don't, they stress me out. I want to play along, to see if there's a real idea in there, but I just don't have the cycles.

So the threads get cut short, frozen in time in my inbox.

And likely, Monday, when I have time to put my head back into them, the other person will be busy themselves.

Email is an amazingly efficient, yet most of the time wholly inappropriate means of communication.

Yet somehow it's become the default. Especially since I don't have time to answer my phone on Fridays.

Good running,
Doug

Numbers: 4 miles on the trails. Felt great.

No comments:

Post a Comment