Thursday, November 25, 2010

Day 329 - Thanksgiving Present

I've always wanted to do the Drumstick Dash. It's a Thanksgiving Day race that in 8 years has grown from a couple hundred runners to over 12,000. Lots of families, lots of costumes, lots of fun. Just hasn't worked out, until today.

This year's race was extra special... because it was raining... lots.

It's been raining pretty much non-stop since yesterday. So we got to deal with the rain and big, deep puddles. All in the spirit of pre-emptive calorie burn.

I tagged along with the GF's family and friends. We filled two SUVs, left late, and once we made it to the start, we were slotted right behind the strollers when the gun went off.

The next 4.5 miles were spent surfing through the endless sea of bodies. And it was a blast.

Despite the rain and the bone-deep post-race chill, it was the perfect way to start Thanksgiving.

And, in the spirit of the day... 10 things I'm thankful for, in no particular order:

  1. I am healthy enough to run a 4.5 mile race in the rain.
  2. My kids are healthy and brilliant and happy.
  3. I've found a wonderful girl who likes me just as I am.
  4. The dog's stopped using the upstairs landing for her personal restroom (knock on wood).
  5. I have an interesting, challenging, rewarding job that pays me well, and I get to do it with fun, smart, rational people.
  6. Izod, Honda, Firestone, Chevrolet, Lotus, The Indianapolis Motor Speedway, and Randy Bernard who are reviving IndyCar.
  7. My car, which is flawless (knock on wood).
  8. I have a comfortable home in a quiet, safe neighborhood.
  9. All of the kind words, fun comments, emails, and support in this forum, and from people in my real life over the past almost 11 months.
  10. BodyGlide
Happy Thanksgiving, and of course...


Good running,
Doug

Numbers: 4.5 miles, not including the dash to get our late-comers registered.

No comments:

Post a Comment