Sunday, November 7, 2010

Day 311 - Late Questions

Dudes, I screwed up.

I'd neglected the new dougrun365@gmail.com inbox. Turns out, there were a couple questions in there, waiting patiently, since Thursday.

First, from Patrick:

Patrick: What’s your stance on weightlifting for runners?
Me: My stance is usually with feet firmly planted, about shoulder width apart.
Patrick: That wasn't funny. I meant what do you think about weights? Upper body only or both upper and lower?
Me: My current plan is no weight lifting. That's working really well, in the I-hate-lifting-weights way. In the strength and overall durability way, it's not cutting it, surprisingly. When I am lifting weights, or any kind of strength work, I start with core. Core is called core for a reason. It's the most important. Abs, lower back, glutes, whatever those muscles on our sides are called. Lower body, I need to do abductors and adductors. They're muscles that aren't strengthened much by running, but critical for balance. Then I do upper body, high reps, low weight. All of this I do once a week, in my rainbows and 6-pack abs fantasy world.
Patrick: Uh, thanks. I think.

Sure thing P-Diddy. Next up, a new comer to the DR265 community, Kathy:

Kathy: As a veteran traveling runner, how do you deal with the long drive/flight home after an out of town race?
Me: Poorly.
Kathy: Oh. (uncomfortably long pause.) Ok, let's pretend that you deal with it well. How would you do it?
Me: Ok, this'll be fun.
First choice, don't rush home. Stay as long as you can. See the city. Walking around is great for post-race legs. After my last visit to the fantastic New York City Marathon, I stayed an extra 3 days. Sure, it nearly bankrupted me, but it was a blast. Wear a running jacket, and you'll be surprised how many complete strangers will treat you like a hero, ask how your race went, and beg to show off their city to you. Some of them will be hitting on you, but some will be sincere. Either way...
If you can't stay, the secret is to not sit still. When flying, get on the plane as late as you can. As soon as the Fasten Seatbelts sign goes out, walk about. Head to the galley in the back. There's usually enough room to stretch a bit.
If you're traveling by car, try to get someone else to drive. You can fidget and stretch the whole way. Unless, like me on the way home from the Philadelphia Marathon, you sleep for 4 hours.
If you're driving, stop every 90 minutes or so, even if just for a couple minutes, to get out and stretch your legs. After driving back from the Sunburst Marathon in South Bend, I bet I stopped 5 or 6 times. The best stop was at a Dog 'n' Suds for the best tasting chili-cheese dog and root beer, ever. Ever!
Most important, regardless of your means of travel, drink lots of water and electrolyte replacements. You need to rehydrate your bod, and it will help fend off any of those sneaky cramps.
Kathy: That was a really long answer. My hamstrings have cramped since I started reading it.
Me: Bummer. Drink more water.

Thanks for the questions guys. Apologies for missing them.

Speaking of New York City Marathon, the greatest foot race in the world, it was today. I can't stress enough... if you ever have a chance to run New York... Do it. It will change how you think of yourself, running, New York, and the human race.

Good running,
Doug

Numbers: 1.4 miles, without the dog, in a hurry to get back to watching Harry Potter movies with my progeny.

2 comments:

  1. Saw a good article about marathon running that you might like: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/11/04/born-to-run-the-marathon/

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Marino - Great article, even if you skip all of the barefoot running propaganda. Thanks for passing it along.

    ReplyDelete