Friday, November 19, 2010

Day 323 - Cornhole

Anyone else play in a cornhole tournament at work today?

Today, I became a tiny bit more of a Hoosier. I played cornhole. Or maybe corn hole. Pretty sure it's not core whole. I'm going with one word... cornhole.

For the uninitiated, cornhole is what happens when horseshoes and toss-a-cross meet at a bar, late, on a Saturday night.

It consists of two slanted boards, each with a circle cut about 85% up from the bottom, 8 beanbags, 2 teams of 2 people, and usually, beer.

The slanted boards are placed a good beanbag-toss apart. One player from each team stands to the side of each board. Then they take turns tossing bags at the board.

You get 1 point for each beanbag that stays on the board, and 3 points for each one that goes in the hole. Hence the too often repeated "3 in a hole" phrase, among other vaguely suggestive, and even less humorous, zingers. When the game's called cornhole, you gotta expect that.

I'd seen the game before. Hard not to if you've been to any sporting event that includes tailgating, and beer. But I'd never played. Never occurred to me. Today's Fall Festival at work was my chance, if you wanna call it that.

I'm marginally proud to report that my boss/teammate and I won our first match. Dominated, really.

Second match, we got whacked. Semi-professional cornholers cleaned us out. We were out in the second round. We played a couple more unofficial games with other losers, finishing with a respectable 2-and-2 record.

As a freshly deflowered cornhole virgin (ahem...), I can't say I love the game, but I'd play again.

For me, it's like golf. I don't really care for golf. I know a lot of people who play. It's just not for me. I might be talked into playing, to hang out with the guys. But I'm not going to buy clubs. And I'm not going to be building a cornhole set.

Every time I've played golf, I've decided that my time would have been better spent on a run. I can run for free. I rarely lose a ball on a run. And at the end of a run, I feel better than when I started. Can't say that about any time I've been golfing.

If I do get roped into a round of golf, or a game of cornhole, I'm going to make sure I get my run in first. That way I can have a beer or two while I play. It won't improve my game, but I might enjoy it more.

Good running,
Doug

Numbers: 3.1 miles on streets, after work, slow.

No comments:

Post a Comment