Monday, November 22, 2010

Day 326 - Mental Tow Truck

We evolved into sentient creatures for a reason. Not sure why.

I heard one theory today that said it was so that we could invent new ways of thinking that nature couldn't produce, at least not efficiently. Nature created a self-programming computer because it was easier than creating all of those different-thinking creatures separately.

I know... trippy, right? Especially for a Monday.

This Monday was, for reasons unknown, especially Monday-ish. It was a struggle to do much more than breath and blink.

Luckily, I have a well functioning cerebral cortex and the ability to recognize a funk when I see one. Want to know the best way to shed a funk?

Running? Yes, excellent answer. 5 points for Gryffindor. But suppose that you can't run, at least not until after work? Then what do you do?

This is where that big blob of gray matter behind your forehead comes in handy. When you need a jump start, spend a few minutes, think about whatever you are passionate about. For me, I thought about when and where and how fast I was going to run today, and how I was going to prepare for the turkey trot coming up, and what my goals should be for next year, and how great it would be to run the New York City Marathon again. Stuff like that.

Like a tow truck to a stuck car, it got me out of my rut. It got my blood moving and my neurons firing and shook off that dreadful Monday funk. It was as if I ran myself out of the fog.

Passions are important. They make life fun, and interesting. They also give us something to look forward to, when we really need something to look forward to.

Embrace your passion and use it to put a fire under your life. If you don't have one, get busy, dig deep, and find it.

Good running,
Doug

Numbers: 3.0 miles on the streets in the dark. 

No comments:

Post a Comment