Monday, October 11, 2010

Day 284 - Peer Pressure

A couple days ago we talked about the great value of running buddies. Hooking up with someone to run is great for motivation and entertainment.

However, it can also get you sucked into something you shouldn't be doing. That was the case for me today.

We were a gang of four, trotting out of the office park. It's a great gang, always good for a laugh. Several most days.

Only problem was that today, I was hella-busy, and the run time snuck up on me. Not wanting to keep the boys waiting (peer pressure example #1), I barely stretched.

As soon as we took off, I knew I was in trouble. My achilles were as hard as the legs on a piano. Not wanting to slow the boys down (peer pressure example #2) I soldiered on. With every step, they got tighter and tighter.

Finally, after a mile, I knew that if I'd kept at it, I'd end up hobbling around for a couple days... again. So, I told them I was dropping off.

It's tough to let go of a group. Feels like giving up.

But, above all else, you have to listen to your body. My body was screaming at me, "Dude! Whoa up! You wanna bust something?!"

So I dropped my pace, and let my achilles, legs, and everything else, warm up at their own pace.

Know what?... by mile two, I was warm. And I was feeling pretty good.

By mile 2.5, I was feeling really good. I'd caught the other guys. And I just kept going. They hung with me for a bit, then the two young guns dropped off. It was just me and Bill, the two old guys, dropping the pace like a short-fused firecracker. I was in the zone, and I felt like I could've gone all day.

The final 300 yards, I gassed it, and finished about 40 yards ahead of Bill.

A little peer pressure, the kind that gets you to do what you know you should be doing, is a good thing.

Peer pressure that compels you to do something you know you shouldn't, not so good.

And we all know the difference, yet too often we ignore the good kind, and give in to the bad kind.

Listen to your conscience. And listen to your body. They both know best. And with a little patience, you'll end up kickin' some ass.

Good running,
Doug

Numbers: 4.4 miles on streets.

No comments:

Post a Comment