Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Day 138 - Your thing

Ever play golf? Sure you have. Remember that all too rare feeling when you hit the perfect shot?

Today, my run was the perfect shot.

I badgered the guys into a slow warm-up. They tend to jump to their pace at the gun. I've got a few more miles on me, and I like to ease into these things. Besides, I've been nursing the heals for a few days.

After a mile, we were at a comfortable, still-able-to-talk clip. Any apprehension I had about my heals was gone. I was feeling pretty good. As we started up a small hill, I could feel the strength in my legs, the spring in my feet.

At the half-way mark, I got "Hey, look who's pushing the pace. Mr. Slow Warm-up."

"I'm just feeling good, that's all.", I said.

That was an understatement.

My stride was long and smooth but my turnover was still quick. I was on a long, slow, progressive ramp up in speed. And I wasn't done yet.

The guys dropped back after another half mile. I was cruisin', on my own, with no sign of tightness or fatigue. The more I asked of my legs and lungs and heart, the more they responded. Like the engine and tires and suspension of a fine sports car, the faster I went, the faster they wanted to go.

I felt like I could go on forever.

After a little over 2 miles, unfortunately, the loop was over. I had to stop for traffic, and it was time to start my cool-down.

During the easy jog back to the office, I felt fortunate to know my body as well as I do, to be able to recognize when it is ready, eager even, to drop the hammer. I also felt lucky to have something in my life that I not only enjoy, but that is also good for my body, my brain, and my soul. And I was buzzing with life and I was totally present and I was at the perfect place at the perfect time.

If you don't get that feeling every few days, you're missing out. Find something that makes you happy, that's yours alone, that makes you proud of who you are, and that's good for you.

If you're honest with yourself, you probably already have something in mind. Pause for a second and imagine yourself doing it. Go ahead, imagine... take your time...

Ok, now ask yourself why aren't you doing it for real? What's holding you back? Is it that little voice inside your head telling you that you can't, that it's silly, that you're too old, too fat, too busy? Are you afraid you won't be good enough? Are you worried someone will make fun of you?

Pish-f'in-posh! Don't listen to anyone, including yourself, who says you can't do it. People who make fun are jealous dicks who want everyone to be as miserable as they are.

I'm not a big fan of Nike, but they did get one thing right...


You don't have to be good at it, you just have to love doing it.

If you don't have something in mind, heck, try running, it's awesome. I'd be glad to help you get started. If that doesn't do it for you, move on to something else until you find your thing.

Good running,
Doug

Numbers: 4.1 miles, easy warm-up, cruise, dockin', cool-down, all on roads.

1 comment:

  1. Your transformation, inside and out, is quite beautiful and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete