Monday, June 28, 2010

Day 179 - Dependence

I don't like having to depend on anything, or anyone. I like to think that I can do just fine, all on my own.

This nagging achilles tightness and the resultant easing back on miles and intensity has made me wonder how much I depend on running.

Sure, I still run every day, but lately, not very far. And that means not for very long.

And that's made for a slightly more cranky version of Doug.

My patience is shorter. My mood is moodier. I'm grumpy.

As much as I hate to admit it, I've become dependent on the endorphins, and the sweat, and the damn good feeling I get from a good, long, hard, run.

This is the price I must pay for cutting corners on stretching and strength training. Knowing that, as you might imagine, doesn't make me feel any better.

I'm pissy and snarky, and I really need a good 7-miler to take the edge off.

I wonder if this is what alcoholics, and people who quit smoking, feel like?

Probably not.

And it doesn't help at all that the motorcycle I won 18 days ago still isn't here. But, today I was "promised" a delivery date. And the date is close enough that I looked around my garage and realized I had no where to put the bike.

My only hope is to move some garage stuff into the shed. But that means cleaning junk out of the shed.

And that means disposing of artifacts from my life that I've moved 3 times, and never touched otherwise, and cleaning up the 17,000 walnut shells left by yet another friendly squirrel.

The GF volunteered to come over and lend a hand.

I told her I didn't "need' her help. I wasn't dependent on her help to get it done.

But man, it sure was nice to have her there to help out.

Good running,
Doug

Numbers: 1.4 miles on grass and trail... same damn course I've been doing for days.

1 comment: