Friday, June 25, 2010

Day 176 - Pro or Con?

I took the day off from work. There's been too much going on and I just really needed a day to regroup.

Passed my motorcycle written test, which gained me one learner's permit. Missed 3 on the test, which I thought I aced. One question I misread, one I knew the answer but for reasons unknown filled in the "C" circle instead of the "A" circle, and one I flat out got wrong. I could have missed one more, like the one that how drinking doesn't really make me a better rider, and still passed. I don't think the bar is high enough. I'm just sayin'.

Went to the bank, and then, FWUMP, I ran out of energy.

Spent the next 3 hours watching Netflix on the Mac. Dexter. Wierd, and totally addictive.

Eventually found the energy/desire/drive/will to go for a short run. Just a warm-up, as I have a big running day tomorrow.

But it was long enough for my mind to loosen up and stumble upon one of the most obvious tidbits around.

We've all heard it. We've probably all said it. But accepting it is a different story.

Here it is: People are who they are, and there's no amount of hope, discussion, prayer, time, reason, therapy, rehab, screaming, pretending, self-help, or pharmaceuticals that is going to change them.

People change when they want to change. There's no sense wishing that things are different than how they are.

What we can do is look at how these people affect us. Are they a net benefit, or detriment? Pro or con? It's not about whether or not you care for them, or if you want them. It's about whether or not they are helping you on your journey, or holding you back. Is your life better with them? Then keep them in it. If not, let them go. If you can't let them go, like former-spouses, then accept that they are in your life, just as they are,  and don't waste time wishing things were different.

Seems obvious, I know. But I know a dozen intelligent people who are hoping for change that isn't going to come.

We want, so bad, for things to get better, that we are willing to suffer just for the remote possibility that it might be worth it. That's especially true if we've "invested" time into it.

Here's the deal. Find a way to makes things work for you, accept the situation, or move on.

Good running,
Doug

Numbers: 1.4 miles on grass and trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment