Thursday, March 4, 2010

Day 63 - ToDo List

Some people swear by ToDo lists.


I see a ToDo list as a never-ending reminder of all of the things I haven't done.


We all have competing priorities in our lives. Here are some of mine (in no way complete and in no particular order... so don't infer anything about what's there, what's not there, and what's above what... don't judge me!):
  • Kids
  • Eat
  • Sleep
  • Work
  • Family
  • Friends
  • Dog
  • TiVo
  • Work
  • Girlfriend
  • House
  • Meditate
  • Car
  • Learn to surf
  • Bills
  • Stretch
  • NetFlix
  • Floss
  • Yoga
  • Save
  • Travel
  • Mental Health
  • Laundry

Pick a category. Seriously... pick one. Got it?


Ok.


In 5 seconds I could list 5 things that I should be doing for that category, or plan to do, or need to do, or want to do. And 4 of those things have been on "my list" for months.


How can anyone live with so much undone?


Tell you what I do... I retreat. Last night I ordered Chinese take-out for two. Ate all of it. In front of the TV, under a blanket, in my comfy lounge pants.


How can I justify this? Easy... I was catching up on my NetFlix. I've had the same 3 DVDs for weeks, just sitting there, nagging me to watch them. Of course those will be replaced (with astonishing speed) with three more DVDs from my never ending queue of movies that I don't remember adding to my queue let alone remember why I thought I'd want to watch them.





Everything competes for our time and attention and energy. And none of it ever goes away. Nothing is ever done. Every task completed just makes room for the next one.

I suppose a good ToDo list can help you, when you actually feel up to doing something, to decide just what you should do. Or want to do. Or can do in the 7 minutes you have before you have to fetch your daughter from swim practice. "Let's see... shall I clean up whatever the dog hacked up or get at least one toilet unclogged...Hmmmm..."

Alert readers may have noticed that running wasn't on the list. Well, neither is breathing.

For me, running isn't a task. It's subsistence. My daily runs have kept me going. Kept my head clear. Kept my mood positive. They've helped me to accept these things to do as a part of life, things to be enjoyed and savored.

It's easy to spend one's life doing lots of things, and not enjoying any of them.

Take time to do what you enjoy, and eventually you'll enjoy everything you do.

Good running,
Doug

Numbers: 1.2 miles on a still tender left rear paw. Still hoping to race Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment