Sunday, February 28, 2010

Day 59 - Two months in

Birthday party hangover kept my boys in low gear all day.

Their sister, on 2 days without swim practice and with 2 gift cards from Kohl's, was primed for shopping for her spring break trip to Orlando.

Ten minutes into the expedition, the boys were anxious, frustrated, and just plain ready to leave.

This was what we call a learning opportunity.

"Boys, you have many shopping trips with women in your future. Here are some tips:

  • Sit when you can. Chairs in women's sections are few and far between, but occasionally near the dressing rooms. You can always find a place to sit in the shoe department.
  • Practice this until you can say in reflexively and convincingly: 'Hey! That looks great!' A picosecond delay or the slightest hint of insincerity, and you have just turned a trip to the checkout into another 45 minutes of browsing, and probably more than a few glares.
  • Bring a snack.
  • Do NOT mention the pending start of a sporting event. This will only encourage them.
  • Don't waste your time making suggestions. At best, you will be dismissed as tasteless and/or clueless.
  • Be patient. Be attentive. Be supportive.
  • If you can't pull those three off, find a place to sit down and be out of the way."
Back to the running blog, diversion boy...

Two months into this... thing. It's starting to be less of a challenge or experiment and just something I do.

I'm feeling great. Running well. My pace is picking up as is my mileage.

My weight has leveled off, still a couple pounds higher than I'd prefer, but that'll come. Need to get back to working on my core, but otherwise I'm holding up.

When I wasn't running, I used to have a recurring dream. The circumstances varied, but the central focus was that I was supposed to be running, but my legs just wouldn't go. Each stride was laboring and infuriatingly slow. It was as if I were trying to run, hip deep, in molasses.

Haven't had that dream in over two months.

Not to jinx myself, but I caught myself thinking about day 366. Wonder if I'll run that day?

Good running,
Doug

Numbers: 3.0 miles in 40F on mostly dry streets.

1 comment:

  1. Those are most excellent shopping tips for little dudes. Well said. My husband prefers to be dropped off at the bar to "get a table so you won't have to wait. " What a gentleman. ;)

    ReplyDelete