Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Day 54 - I may have a problem

Admitting that you have a problem is the first step. Isn't it?

I moan and complain about the snow and the slush and the ice and the water that sure feels like it's way colder than 32F. (See pretty much any post from February.) I tell myself how great it will be when we're back in shorts and the sun is out and the asphalt is warm... and dry.

Thing is, I keep going out in it. I don't just mean I run outside. I mean I find myself repeatedly seeking out that same snow and slush. And I enjoy it.

Today, perfect example. I had miles of wet, but clear, road to hit. Even some of the sidewalks are passable.

Where did I run? The stupid pond loop. Pretty much the only place close that still has snow and slush and ice. I purposely chose to run on the cold, slippery, pace killing, bone snapping forms of solid water.

Either... I feel I need to be punished, or secretly I enjoy the challenge. Deep snow ramps up the heart rate. Slippery stuff improves your balance and keeps your attention laser focused. And ice, well ice is just plain evil and is only tolerated because it hangs out with its less evil cousins.

Even a short run can be made into a good workout, and an interesting run, and a chance to escape the world for a few minutes, when the footing is unsure and your toes are cold... or numb.

Embrace the slush, or whatever else does it for you, even if most people would think you were crazy if they knew you enjoyed it.

Good running,
Doug

Numbers: 1.4 miles of slippery fun.
Note: Just when I thought I had a problem, check out this guy you is a joggler... he runs and juggles... at the same time. (Found via Chris' excellent blog).

6 comments:

  1. I wonder if you feel less winter depression than the rest of us? Do tell. Do you think going outside every day and exercising has helped?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Robin. Give me just a minute to put away my revolver and clean-up the pile of sleeping pills...

    Ok, you asked about depression. I don't know how depressed you are, but I can say that I feel that I have embraced the winter gray gloom. I do feel less punished by the season than I have in the past. You'll find me under my desk, fetal position, only 3 or 4 times a week, now. I do think that being out, moving across this planet we call Hoth, wait... Earth, yes Earth, has helped.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find myself doing the same thing - bare pavement six inches to my right and I'm running on the edge of snow and slush. I wonder what makes me do that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Embrace your inner snow-pile-jumping child and savor the slushy paths - you'll miss them when they're gone (right?).

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Chris - because you're crazy, like the rest of us.

    @Trena - Amen, sister.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe more cabin fever than depression. Winter Yoga just hasn't caught on with my students yet. ;) Though...it is an idea!

    ReplyDelete