Sunday, December 26, 2010

Day 360 - Next Year

I don't know about your house, but mine is still littered with wrapping remnants, sweater boxes, and dead batteries.

Ok, so I'm a little slow on the clean-up. I've been very busy. Do you have any idea how much time it takes to watch an entire season of Battlestar Galactica?*

I'm on vacation this week. Aside from running and writing, I'm determined to do as little as possible. I am actively searching for mindless entertainment. And sleep.

So I haven't spent much time pondering what many folks are pondering in this valley between holidays. I haven't put much thought into... next year.

I'm not much of a New Year's resolution kinda guy. Oh, sure, I've tried a couple times. And failed. And no, this year-long run streak doesn't count. It wasn't a resolution. More like my own personal revolution that happened to start Jan 1st.

Anyway, because I know some people are thinking about resolutions, and because all right-thinking people turn to running blogs for advice, I'm going to lay some on ya.

Here goes...

Don't make any resolutions.

Ok, on to new business... let's see... Did I mention that the dog ate my egg sandwich? What? Explain? Isn't it obvious?

Resolutions are stupid. They are thinly disguised self-bashing. We act like we're promising ourselves something, when really we're looking back at the last year, picking out the things we feel worst about, and punishing ourselves with unrealistic goals. And when we don't live up to our goals, we feel even worse.

Skip the resolutions. Don't promise yourself, or anyone else for that matter, anything. Instead, be kind to yourself. Forgive yourself. And be true to yourself. Make yourself a priority. Do something, anything, just for you.

Do that when you can over the next few months, and you'll start to see yourself, and the world, differently. And you'll find yourself on the path the the best version of you.

And if that version of you enjoys a nice run, all the better.

Good running,
Doug

*11 hours, for season one, not including restroom breaks

Numbers: 3.0 miles, same course as usual. Did see 2 other runners out there today, though.

3 comments:

  1. 5 more to go - almost there! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Doug.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BSG? Finally this blog is talking about something relevant to my interests! :-)

    Great show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Chris - Thanks man! Same to you.Looking forward to watching your cruise to 1000!

    @Ryan - I try to get around to everyone. Sorry you drew number 360. Tomorrow is all about vegan yoga mats for RoHo.

    ReplyDelete