Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Day 271 - Epiphany

I had a minor epiphany today.

It came to me as I was "walking" to the bathroom without "bending" my "ankles".

I need to take better care of myself.

Specifically, I don't stretch as much as I should.

What was my first clue? How about the fact that in the morning I walk like a 700 yr old man!

Yeah, I know... I should have realized this months ago. And I knew what was going on, but it's as if in my head, running every day gives me a pass on everything else.

I'm (finally) stretching after (almost) every run. That is what a professional would call, "... better than nothing, barely... almost not doing anything... the absolute minimum required to not be accused of a really drawn out suicide".

Still, I could tell that even that little bit did make me feel a teeny bit better.

If you want to feel good, and you're going to do something as ridiculous as running everyday, the minimum doesn't cut it. You really need to step up those little things that make you feeling good. And young. And mobile.

This adventure continues to teach me things about myself. Today, it's telling me that I've been cutting corners that matter.

I'm going to stretch every morning. I'm going to stretch every evening. I'm going to get a massage. I'm gonna get my creaky body into yoga class.

I can't help getting old, but I sure as hell don't want to feel old.

If you feel creaky, it's your own fault, not your age. Is 10 minutes a day a reasonable price for 23 hours and 50 minutes of feeling good?

Thought so. Now, bend over.

Wait, that sounded bad... sorry... you know what I meant...

Good running,
Doug

Numbers: 3.1 miles with the dog on roads.

No comments:

Post a Comment