Monday, August 23, 2010

Day 235 - Timeless

A runner without a watch is like a baseball player without sunflower seeds, or an NFL player without a handgun, or an NBA player without a handful of baby-mamas.

Yet here I sit, watchless. Have been for weeks. Maybe months.

I used to be a watch hound. Loved watches. Loved buying watches. Not the expensive designer watches, or the elegant/artistic real movement watches with actual gears inside. These were running watches. Black. Digital. Plastic. Functional gadgets, not stylish jewelry.

I had alarms set, and timers running. And I always knew the date. And time.

Now, not so much.

As I sit here and try to understand why, I know that I have my phone on me to fill some of the void. But it's not the same.

I guess I just don't really care what time it is anymore. Not enough to have it at the ready, a wrist-turn away.

That feels like a good thing.

Good running,
Doug

Numbers: 4.4 miles on roads

4 comments:

  1. Good post Doug. The time isn't important, it's running as far and as fast as feels good to you, on the day. Maybe some days its faster and some slower, but the number don't really matter - they're just arbitrary numbers.

    Marino

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know...

    I'm a watch hound and this morning my watch battery died and I felt lost. How could I plot my run? How could I see my heart rate? How did I know my pace? Oh no!

    It was actually a little liberating and I felt less pressure to keep up with myself, but I really miss the data.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, now I feel like a dork. I meant that I don't wear a watch during the day, like to work or at home. I still wear my Garmin on runs. And if that fails, I use RunKeeper on my iPhone as backup. I too am addicted to the data. But I don't look at the time during the run, and I don't adjust my run based on the time or pace. Promise. I just record it. Honest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmm... it's true, the data is so nice. Mmm, shiny shiny data.

    ReplyDelete