Wednesday, December 30, 2009

My last wild hair


In June 2006, before starting my current (awesome) job, I had a 6 week hiatus. I was EXTREMELY lucky to find a great job in just a couple weeks, so I had a few weeks to kill. A luxury I'd never had before and guessed I'd never have again. I was still getting paid from my last job. I was single. I had no schedule.

It. Was. Awesome!

I read, ran, saw a jillion movies, cooked, met up with friends, even bought a car. I spent time deciding what I wanted to do, and then doing it.

As the end of my forced vacation drew near, I wanted to do something memorable. I wanted to put an exclamation point on what had been a period of introspection, experiences, exploration. An awakening.

I had just finished Ultramarathon Man by Dean Karnazes. I was inspired to try something that I didn't know I could do. The details are in this (now defunct) blog, but essentially I decided to run 100 miles over my last 7 days.

Do the math with me... that's over a half-marathon. Every day. For 7 days. In a row.

I know!

It was one of my greatest experiences and most certainly partial inspiration for this challenge. I experienced highs, lows, and really low lows that week. Heck, on nearly every run that week.

I learned a lot about myself.

It was a tough, tough week.

It was only a week. Gulp.

No comments:

Post a Comment